- Tools & Workshop >
- Top Tools 2012: ChannelLock 13 'N 1 Ratcheting Screwdriver
Top Tools 2012: ChannelLock 13 'N 1 Ratcheting Screwdriver
ChannelLock's tough and thoughtfully designed combination screwdriver outperforms similar tools.
- Photo: ChannelLock
Why You'll Love It: The ChannelLock 13 'N 1 combines the efficiency of a ratcheting screwdriver with the versatility of a multi-bit driver, and you'll feel the difference from the very first turn. The smooth-action ratcheting mechanism excels, and the tool's innovative bit storage is a refreshing change from the jumble found on many competitors' products.
The Full Scoop:
ChannelLock brings a rich history of high-quality tools made in America, and in 2011 the company introduced a pair of screwdrivers, including the all-new 13 'N 1 Code Blue. A 28 fine-tooth ratchet positively zips through each position as you work. Delivering 225 in. lbs. of torque, the Code Blue surpasses the popular Kobalt Double-Drive, which produces only 178 in. lbs. Conveniently, the direction setting can be adjusted one-handed, and the driver can ratchet left, right, or be locked in place.
ChannelLock implemented slide-out bit storage that secures each individual bit—a thoughtful touch compared to the unorganized, loose storage most DIYers find on combination screwdrivers. The shaft is a 1/4" nut driver, and within the handle you'll find double-ended 0, 1, 2, 3 Phillips bits; 4, 6 slotted bits; 10, 15, 20, 25 Torx bits; and 1, 2 square bits.
The ChannelLock 13 'N 1 is priced from $30 to $35. Find it online and at your local home improvement center.
Author Bio: Ethan Hagan is the primary editor at One Project Closer; visit to read additional tool reviews, expert project guides, and more. OPC is unique in that just about every how-to article features the work of an experienced professional contractor.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees