- Tools & Workshop >
- Top Tools 2012: Rockwell Sonicrafter X2 Oscillating Multi-Tool
Top Tools 2012: Rockwell Sonicrafter X2 Oscillating Multi-Tool
Rockwell's no-nonsense oscillating multi-tool gets along famously with other toolmaker's accessories.
- Photo: One Project Closer
Why You'll Love It: The Hyperlock clamp delivers 1 ton of clamping force, while its Universal Accessory system let's you mix-and-match competitor's accessories. These features and a 3.0 amp motor make the Rockwell Sonicrafter X2 one of the best oscillating multi-tools available.
The Full Scoop: Just about every manufacturer has jumped on the oscillating multi-tool (OMT) bandwagon. However, only a handful of these tools distinguish themselves from the pack, the Rockwell Sonicrafter X2 included.
Rockwell released three new OMTs a few months ago; the X2 is the premier model. What sets it apart is the tool's combination of a powerful 3.0 amp motor, unique Hyperlock clamping design, and Universal Fit accessory system.
Few OMTs can boast a powerful 3.0 amp motor, a welcome upgrade from the previous generation's 2.3 amp rendition. The Hyperlock SDS clamp delivers a full 2,000 lbs. of clamping force to prevent accessories from coming loose, which can happen when cutting through dense materials. To change accessories, the user simply flips and rotates a lever to (un)lock the clamp—no fumbling around with easy-to-lose Allen keys.
Perhaps the most notable and user-centered feature of the X2 is its Universal Fit accessory system. That means Rockwell's tool will accept other brands' accessories. With so many OMTs on the market, many of us have already stockpiled an assortment of accessories, and the X2 can accommodate them all.
To top it off, Rockwell includes a rugged case that is compact and waterproof, and which features two easy-access accessories storage areas on top.
The price tag on the Rockwell X2 is competitive at $149.99. The kit includes the tool, case, and nine accessories.
Author Bio: Ethan Hagan is the primary editor at One Project Closer; visit to read additional tool reviews, expert project guides, and more. OPC is unique in that just about every how-to article features the work of an experienced professional contractor.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees