- Lawn & Garden >
- Top Tools 2012: Black & Decker 36v Cordless Lawn Mower
Top Tools 2012: Black & Decker 36v Cordless Lawn Mower
Quieter and more convenient than a gas-powered lawn mower, Black & Decker's electric model is an optimal choice for small and medium-size yards.
Why You'll Love It: Leave the gas can behind and forget about annual machine maintenance tasks with the Black & Decker 36v Lawn Mower. This cordless, rechargeable mower can tackle small to medium-sized lawns without sacrificing performance. The instant-start feature means no more yanking on a pull-cord, and at only 75 dB, your ears will thank you.
The Full Scoop: Cordless lawn and garden equipment has come a long way, and Black & Decker is leading the charge with its latest generation of 36v tools. Owning this mower means never having to store gas, oil, or fuel stabilizer again. There's no need for spare spark plugs or air filters, and neither annual maintenance (except blade maintenance) nor winterization are required.
The benefits of an electric mower don't stop there. With the safety key in place, the Black & Decker starts up at the touch of a button. Priming the engine? No need. Yanking on a pull-cord? A headache of the past. Perhaps best of all, this mower only emits 75 dB, while a typical lawn mower puts out over 100 dB of noise.
Set aside your fears about an electric mower's performance. The SPCM1936 can handle up to a third of an acre on a single charge, though much like comparable gas-powered mowers, this electric self-propelled model can get bogged down in wet or very tall grass. With the pull of a lever, cutting height for the 19" blades can be adjusted on all four wheels simultaneously.
The battery requires 12 hours to reach full charge; it can be charged with the mower or separately. For optimal performance, the battery should be connected to the charger while not in use.
The Black & Decker SPCM1936 36v Lawn Mower costs around $450.00; spare batteries cost $129.
Author Bio: Ethan Hagan is the primary editor at One Project Closer; visit to read additional tool reviews, expert project guides, and more. OPC is unique in that just about every how-to article features the work of an experienced professional contractor.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees