- Tools & Workshop >
- Top Tools 2012: DeWalt 12v Pivot Reciprocating Saw
Top Tools 2012: DeWalt 12v Pivot Reciprocating Saw
With its pivoting blade, DeWalt's compact and cordless reciprocating saw is easy to use in tight spaces.
- Photo: DeWalt
Why You'll Love It: The DeWalt 12v MAX Pivot Reciprocating Saw is the cordless little brother to the bigger, more-powerful reciprocating saw we're all used to. DeWalt's tool is powerful enough to cut a variety of materials, yet it's compact enough to be useful in small spaces.
The Full Scoop: Although DeWalt wasn't the first manufacturer to introduce this type of tool, the company proved good things are worth the wait upon introducing the MAX Pivot in February.
Weighing only 3.1 lbs., the Pivot is one of the lightest saws of its kind. Its handle can be positioned at 90º, 45°, and in-line, making it the saw of choice for maneuvering in tight spaces. The integrated LED work light is another welcome feature.
Don't be fooled by the saw's size; it can pack a punch. It's perfect for cutting PVC, copper pipe, metal conduit and more, and the pivoting shoe makes plunge cuts a breeze.
A variable speed trigger ranges from 0 to 2,700 strokes per minute, and Dewalt lists the stroke length at 9/16". Blade changes are easy and can be accomplished just by lifting a lever.
DeWalt's Pivot Reciprocating Saw is built on the 12v MAX line of cordless tools. If you already own the drill/driver from that collection, this saw is a natural companion. Expect to pay $149.99 for the full kit, which includes the saw, 12v MAX battery, battery charger, two reciprocating saw blades and storage bag.
Author Bio: Ethan Hagan is the primary editor at One Project Closer; visit to read additional tool reviews, expert project guides, and more. OPC is unique in that just about every how-to article features the work of an experienced professional contractor.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees