- Tools & Workshop >
- Top Tools 2012: Ridgid 18v Compact Drill Driver and Impact Driver
Top Tools 2012: Ridgid 18v Compact Drill Driver and Impact Driver
Backed by the product category's best warranty, Ridgid's drill/driver is a workhorse that will last.
- Photo: Ridgid
Why You'll Love It: The Ridgid 18v Compact Drill Driver and Impact Driver delivers outstanding performance, solid battery life, a comfortable grip, and a lifetime repair and replacement warranty that also covers batteries.
The Full Scoop: This drill driver/impact driver twofer is the latest in a long line of Ridgid "prosumer" and contractor-grade tools of this kind. The latest models' compact design makes working in tight spaces much easier (their size closely approximates that of previous generations of 12v tools).
Boasting a 1/2" chuck, 535 in. lbs. of torque, and a two-speed gear box delivering up to 1,650 RPMs, Ridgid's drill driver will handle a broad range of applications, making it worthy of consideration by serious do-it-yourselfers, general contractors, and tradesmen.
The impact driver's impressive 1,750 in. lbs. of torque, with virtually no force-feedback to the user, means the toughest driving jobs can be completed with relative ease. A standard quick-release hex chuck allows easy and quick bit swaps that hasten job completion.
Ridgid's lifetime warranty on power tools is unparalleled in the industry. After free product registration within 90 days of purchase, Ridgid will warrant this combo kit for the life of its original owner. The warranty also covers replacement of the tool's 18v batteries once they wear out. In this highly competitive space, the product warranty really puts Ridgid over the top.
The Ridgid Compact 18v kit is usually priced from $169 to $189 at Home Depot, but combo kits like this one are a popular "deal" item, especially around the holidays. Watch The Home Depot's online coupons list for opportunities to purchase at reduced cost.
Author Bio: Ethan Hagan is the primary editor at One Project Closer; visit to read additional tool reviews, expert project guides, and more. OPC is unique in that just about every how-to article features the work of an experienced professional contractor.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees