- Roofing & Siding >
- Quick Tip: Roof Repair or Replacement
Quick Tip: Roof Repair or Replacement
Checking your roof for problem signs now could mean the difference between repair or replacement later.
- Photo: The Local Planet
The cost of re-roofing is something no one wants to think about, but every roof—at some point—will need to be repaired or replaced. The best defense is to conduct regular checks on the roof surface and be mindful of its performance. Discovering minor problems today could mean the difference between repair and replacement tomorrow.
The good news is that you needn’t climb on your roof to assess its condition. Good vision plus binoculars may be all you need to affirm that replacing the roof is essential or that only spot repair is needed. “Just because your roof isn’t leaking doesn’t mean you don’t have a roofing problem,” cautions Joann Liebeler, former co-host of PBS’s Home Time and, currently, a spokesperson for GAF.
Liebeler cites some “danger signals" you need to look for to know when your roof isn’t protecting your home:
• Water in your attic after heavy rain or an ice buildup.
• Cracked, curling, missing or loose shingles.
• Noticeable shingle decay; mold or mildew growth.
• Visible stains on interior walls or ceilings.
Damaged or missing shingles “can simply require that a replacement shingle be installed,” says Liebeler, “or it could be the first sign that the shingles have reached their useful life and need to be replaced.” But if your shingles are cracking or curling at the edges, she adds, “that’s a pretty good signal that the roof will need to be replaced.”
For everything you need to know about asphalt shingles—their type, style, color choices, cost and durability—go to Asphalt Shingles 101.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees