- Tools & Workshop >
- Top Tools 2012: Milwaukee Cordless 18v Cut-Off/Grinder
Top Tools 2012: Milwaukee Cordless 18v Cut-Off/Grinder
Comfortable to use and easy to control, Milwaukee's powerful 18-volt grinder is near perfect.
Why You'll Love It: This cordless grinder combines a 9,000 rpm motor, convenient paddle-switch, and tool-less accessories changes. It's powerful enough to cut through bolts, rebar, pipes, threaded rod and to grind through brick mortar. The guard can be adjusted or removed in seconds, and the side handle can be set in three different positions for optimal control.
The Full Scoop: Last year Milwaukee released a new 4-1/2" Cordless Cut-Off/Grinder, one of many tools built on the company's 18v Red Lithium battery line. The convenient paddle-switch design is growing in popularity, and Milwaukee was one of the first manufacturers to incorporate it into a cut-off/grinder like this. Paddle-switches are preferable, because they are comfortable to operate, enable a user to better control the tool, and provide a safer alternative to lock-on switches.
Swapping accessories only takes a few seconds, and there's no need for an Allen key or spanner wrench. The guard rotates through a handful of positions with the press of a lever; when you align the arrows, the guard slides off.
Milwaukee equipped the 2680-22 Cut-Off/Grinder with a powerful 9,000 rpm, 4-pole motor, and the air intake baffles feature an L-shape to prevent debris from entering and damaging the internals.
Milwaukee sells the grinder as a kit ($349), which includes a pair of XC high-capacity batteries, 1-hour charger, side handle, contractor bag and accessories.
Author Bio: Ethan Hagan is the primary editor at One Project Closer; visit to read additional tool reviews, expert project guides, and more. OPC is unique in that just about every how-to article features the work of an experienced professional contractor.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees