- Interior Design >
- A Starbucks Christmas Carol
A Starbucks Christmas Carol
Finding a holiday purpose for used Starbucks cups, sip lids and sleeve holders.
Every time I look in my wastebasket at work, there is a Starbucks coffee cup, sip lid, and thermal cup sleeve (or if it's summer, a clear plastic cup, flat top lid, and green straw) looking up at me. I rescue them from my cup holder in the car after two-hour drives to and from the country on weekends. Sometimes they accidentally wind up as backseat passengers. Other times, I’ve discovered these cups buried in a backpack or gym bag, evidence that no appropriate trash receptacle was available when I had my last sip.
I started to think about the assorted remains of my coffee drinking indulgences and realized that, if I drank two cups of coffee every day (which I clearly do) throughout the year, I would have consumed 1,065 beverages and contributed more than that amount in trash-destined paper goods and plastic waste. Now if the average shop sells 200-300 cups a day, as some reports indicate, and there are 15,756 Starbucks in 44 countries, that's 4,726,800 containers of one sort or another to be trashed each and every day. Staggering, right?
So I pondered whether there was some way to extend the life of my Starbucks salvage, to re-imagine it somehow and give it renewed purpose. Voila! In the spirit of the season, I found at least one solution. Merry Christmas, Starbucks, from BobVila.com! For details on how to make these ornaments, click here.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees