- Kitchen >
- Kitchen Cabinets 101
Kitchen Cabinets 101
Whether you select solid wood or laminate, the cabinets you choose will be an important factor in the look and function of your kitchen remodel.
- Photo: Wellborn Cabinet
New kitchen cabinets will likely be your biggest expenditure and will also determine the tone and functionality of your renovated space.
A professional can help you sort through the many different types. You’ll want to compare wood and laminate finishes and shop for smart storage and organization solutions, such as pull-out spice racks, hideaway bins, and pop-up shelves that mimic a jack-in-the-box to let you access or hide counter appliances.
As a whole, cabinetry trends lean toward simplicity and an uncluttered look. Bulky, ornate cabinets are being replaced by streamlined options. Slimming features include integrated handles, sliding doors, open low cabinets, floating islands, sleek materials, and simple Shaker or frameless styles.
To save money, buy stock cabinets in standard sizes or consider a trip to nonprofits like Habitat for Humanity ReStore (nationwide) or Green Demolitions (Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) to purchase donated or salvaged cabinetry from demolition projects at a fraction of their original cost.
For super savings, update your existing cabinetry with a fresh coat of paint and new hardware. If you have recessed panel doors, consider covering the center with bead board or replacing it with reeded, textured, or etched glass. Or go a step further to replace one or more wall-hung cabinets with open shelving to create a light, airy feel.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees