- How To's & Quick Tips >
- How To: Seal a Driveway
How To: Seal a Driveway
Protect your driveway with a sealer this weekend and enhance the curb appeal of your home in the bargain.
Sealing your driveway may seem like a bothersome chore, but its benefits are significant. First, a regular coat of sealer can extend the life of your driveway by protecting it from damage caused by sun, oil and gas spills, wind, rain and snow. Second, it is a great way to enhance the overall curb appeal of your home and landscape.
If you haven't sealed your drive in the past two years, you can do the job easily enough in a weekend (provided you choose a weekend with no rain in the forecast). Here's how:
TOOLS AND MATERIALS
Broom or squeegee
Asphalt patch sealer or crack compound
Putty knife or trowel
1. If there are gas and oil spills, clean them with a mild detergent (not doing so will only result in the stains "bleeding" through the sealer). Remove any grass that might be growing in cracks and use an edge trimmer to reduce grass along driveway edges. Repair cracks and fissures with a crack sealer or patch compound. Use a broom to sweep the driveway clean of dirt and hose it down with water. Let dry for 24 hours.
2. Open the container of asphalt sealer and stir well. Be sure to read and follow manufacturer's directions and precautions. Pour enough sealer onto the driveway to cover an area of about 4 x 4 feet. Working the sealer in smaller sections will give you the time necessary to apply an even, overall coat.
3. You can use a broom or squeegee to apply the sealer, whichever you find easier to use. Push the sealer back and forth until you have a good, even coat. Be sure to feather the edges to avoid ridges or evidence of a patchwork application process.
4. Soap and warm water should be all that's required to clean tools—and yourself—when the job is complete. Be certain to refrain from walking on or using the driveway for at least 24 hours. Block the entrance to the drive with the turned-over sealer containers.
Want more How To? Browse all projects in 30 Days of Easy Summer DIY
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees