- How To's & Quick Tips >
- How To: Make a Tire Swing
How To: Make a Tire Swing
Create some outdoor fun this summer—the old-fashioned way—with this "oh so easy" tire swing how-to.
Sometimes the simplest things can bring the greatest summer time pleasures. That's what we felt when we discovered this delightful tire swing tutorial on MyMommysPlace. Enjoy!
TOOLS AND MATERIALS
A strong rope
A power drill
A tree (a big tree)
1. Drill holes in the bottom of your tire to prevent water from gathering and making it all gross when it rains.
2. Take the tire to the car wash to clean it with a high-pressure hose. Also to justify the trip to the ice cream parlor next door.
3. Use a ladder to reach a sturdy tree branch to secure the rope.
4. Realize that your ladder is a lot taller than it looks when you actually climb it and that the branch is really high.
5. Put the ladder away.
6. Concoct a brilliant plan in which you place a softball in a sock, tie it to the end of the rope, and toss it over the branch.
7. Enlist help from someone who can actually throw.
8. Tie a slip knot and pull it until it reaches the branch. You will have a double rope of unequal size.
9. Tie the rope around the tire using a square knot.
10. Discover that knots are really hard to tie.
11. Go inside and Google "how to tie a square knot."
12. Attach the tire using the rope with a whole bunch of knots that you know how to make.
13. Have the heaviest member of your family test the swing to insure its strength. You may not want to tell them that their weight is the reason they were chosen.
14. Untie all those knots and hike the tire a little higher up that rope. Make sure your drill holes are at the bottom. Repeat steps 9 through 13.
15. Let your impatient kid swing, already. You can cut off the excess rope later, when her leg gets tangled in it and she falls and gets hurt.
16. Pat yourself on the back and admire your handiwork from the street, just like the neighbors will.
Want more How To? Browse all projects in 30 Days of Easy Summer DIY
Originally published on My Mommy's Place
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees