- Historic Homes & More >
- General Colin L. Powell Apartments, South Bronx
General Colin L. Powell Apartments, South Bronx
Read about this new seven-story green building, built for the community.
- Photo: From Bob Vila's "Building Green"
The South Bronx
The South Bronx’s reputation conjures up violent street life in the shadow of menacing apartment towers. Blue Sea Development Company, in cooperation with Habitat-NYC, is working to change that. Together they built a 7-story cooperative apartment building. There are 50 apartments of which 8 are reserved for Habitat-NYC families. The building is named in honor of General Colin L. Powell, who grew up in the neighborhood.
Going Green and Saving Money
The building brings healthy living within reach of low-income families. It has energy efficient appliances and boilers and was built with non-toxic and sustainable materials. The building has a platinum LEED rating and is the greenest affordable housing unit in New York State. Residents are estimated to be able to save at least 30% on their utility bills.
The building is healthy in other ways, too. There are community rooms and rooftop recreation space. The apartments have big windows that look out onto a tree-planted street.
Bringing the Bronx Back to its Green Roots
The Bronx was for many years a country getaway. The area north of Manhattan was a patchwork of farms and estates. Invalids were sent there for the salubrious air. While two large parks testify to its rural heritage, the Bronx was densely developed in the 20th century. The General Colin L. Powell Apartments reclaim some of the green space.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees