- Other Rooms >
- Quick Tip: Laundry Room Storage Solutions
Quick Tip: Laundry Room Storage Solutions
Follow our tips to organize your laundry room and save precious space.
- Photo: Country Living
While washing day has come a long way since the tub and washboard, it can still feel like tedious work if your laundry area needs help.
Make the Most of a Small Space
Because it’s so often relegated to the basement, garage or shared space in a bathroom or hallway, the laundry room needs small-space solutions to make washing a more pleasant and efficient chore.
Make the best use of the floor space you have like they did a century ago in the great American bungalow: Install a drop-in ironing board or work surface which can be hidden away when not in use. A wall-mounted, accordion-style drying rack can provide 25 feet of hanging space without using any floor space at all and it saves energy. If the floor is concrete, painting it and adding an area rug would help underfoot.
Organize and Optimize Your Laundry Room
Keep the floor clear by using laundry-sorting bins. Use shelves and labeled baskets to catch laundry that is set aside for mending or donation.
If your laundry is in the mudroom or hallway, work it into the decor by installing a countertop over the machines and hanging a curtain or louvered doors in front. If it’s time for new machines, many new models have storage pedestal drawers to hide the detergent bottles and save your back while you load and unload the laundry.
And remember to always look for the energy star label to save water and energy costs.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees