- Green >
- Top 10 Ways to Deal with Bees
Top 10 Ways to Deal with Bees
Here are 10 tips to prevent, or get rid of, a bee infestation in your house.
- Photo: Flickr
Bob Vila recently contacted me because he had a bee infestation in his attic. I've made several visits to his house since then, removing insulation to get to the bee hive, removing the hive, and then cleaning up the honey that was left behind.
Here are my 10 tips for preventing and dealing with bees in your house:
1) Keep all foliage (plants, flowers, trees) from touching or leaning against your house.
2) Make sure there is no water damage around the roofline of your house. (The ideal time to conduct this kind of inspection is before summertime when everything starts blooming.)
3) If you find bees in your home, do not provoke them.
4) If confronted, don’t panic or make frantic movements.
5) Do not breathe heavily near bees.
6) Do not leave bright lights on.
7) Do not spray bees.
8) Do not attempt to seal the opening where the bees are entering or exiting your house.
9) Call a professional to remove the bee hive and residual honey.
10) Make sure to schedule your appointment with a bee specialist for an after-dusk removal.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees