- Painting >
- Dream It, Do It: How to Paint Wrought Iron
Dream It, Do It: How to Paint Wrought Iron
Use spray paint to give new life to your old wrought iron patio furniture.
- Photo: Today's Mama
I’ve had some rusty-looking wrought iron patio furniture staring at me from my backyard for years now. It came with the house. And it came from 1960-something. So unsurprisingly, it needed an update. My go-to tool for quick and inexpensive makeovers? Simple spray paint.
Krylon has the best color options, and opt for a matte finish—it always looks better.
1. Sand. You need to make sure you give iron furniture (or iron anything) a light sanding before you put paint on it. You can use a sponge-block sanding pad.
2. Wash. My husband insisted that we didn’t need to spray the furniture down, but I didn’t want little dust flecks and spider webs sealed into my furniture, so I sprayed all of the chairs down with the hose, letting the furniture dry completely before applying primer.
3. Prime. We sprayed a light coating of primer on the chairs, since they were a bright red color that we wanted to hide completely.
4. Paint. In order to NOT spray paint our lawn a festival of colors (and to save our backs from hunching over), we put the chairs up on sawhorses.
Voila! Indeed, this is the first time in my life I have felt like a DIY Goddess. Bust out the spray paint and you can too!
Rachael Herrscher is the founder of TodaysMama.com, a comprehensive blog community for modern moms. A self-described "wannabe tech geek," Rachel also founded the Evo Conference for women in social media.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees