- Green >
- Bob Vila's 50 Shades of Green
Bob Vila's 50 Shades of Green
Wanna take it a step further? To stop receiving preapproved credit card and insurance offers in the mail, visit optoutprescreen.com.
Save even more trees by signing up for paperless bank statements, credit card bills, and utility invoices.
Host a clothing or tool swap. Or join a scheduled event near you. Swap-O-Rama-Rama, a clothing exchange started in Brooklyn in 2005, has now spread to more than 100 cities nationwide.
Collect rainwater to use for watering houseplants, filling birdbaths, and tending your garden.
Tidy patios and walkways with a broom, not a hose.
Install a ceiling fan. The whirling wonders can reduce heating bills by 10 percent and air conditioning costs by as much as 40 percent.
If a new refrigerator, dishwasher, or washing machine is in your future, look for appliances that bear the Energy Star label, an EPA designation awarded to energy-efficient models.
Use baking soda on carpets to eliminate pesky pet odors. Simply sprinkle it on, let sit overnight, then vacuum.
Improve gas mileage by as much as 5 percent just by inflating your car tires to proper pressure and using the grade of motor oil the manufacturer recommends.
Close to 90 percent of the energy used to wash clothes comes from heating the water. Just switching from hot to warm water can cut energy use in half—and save you more than $60 a year.
Bob Vila's "50 Shades of Green" continues here.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees