- Green >
- Bob Vila's 50 Shades of Green
Bob Vila's 50 Shades of Green
Choose zero-VOC paints for DIY projects. Benjamin Moore’s Natura line, Behr Premium Plus, Sherwin-Williams’ Harmony line, and Yolo Colorhouse are just a handful of the brands we trust.
And don’t forget old-fashioned (and all-natural) milk paint, which “decorators” have been using to spruce up interiors since the Colonial era; milkpaint.com.
Don’t turn on the shower until you’re actually ready to get in and shower.
Water your plants and lawn in the early morning or evening, when temperatures are cooler to minimize evaporation.
Millions of unsolicited phone books land on consumer’s doorsteps each year. If you don’t want a copy, opt out by logging on to yellowpagesgoesgreen.org.
And while we’re on phones. Remember to recycle old cell phones, Blackberries, and rechargeable batteries. Visit call2recycle.org and enter your address to find free drop-off sites in your area.
Another thing: unplug your phone, iPod, and laptop chargers when not in use. They all use electricity even when they’re not charging. Ditto for idle coffeemakers, toasters, microwave ovens, and hair dryers.
Check out energytaxincentives.org to see if your utility company encourages energy conservation through appliance purchasing assistance programs, energy rebates, and tax incentives.
Love your lawn? Consider Toro’s Xtra Smart Soil Moisture Sensor, an innovative new gizmo that wirelessly communicates with most in-ground sprinkler systems about whether or not your grass needs watering. If moisture is adequate, sprinklers stay off, saving water—and money. To learn more, click here.
And speaking of saving water: More than 12 gallons travel through a regular garden hose per minute. Consider buying an H2O-conserving hose attachment. It'll allow you to turn water on and off as you work in the garden and adjust the flow and volume according to the job at hand.
Bob Vila's "50 Shades of Green" continues here.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees