- Major Systems >
- Quick Tip: 4 Ways to Soundproof Your Home
Quick Tip: 4 Ways to Soundproof Your Home
Soundproofing is not only possible but relatively easy, whether the source of noise is within or outside of the home.
- Photo: crutchfield.com
Even if you live in a quiet neighborhood, laundry and dishwashers, hair dryers and even showers can make your house a noisy place. If you work at home, you know how important a quiet environment is, especially when the kids are enjoying that fabulous new home theater. So what’s the best way to keep sound from going where you don’t want it? You can absorb it, block it, break it or isolate it.
Absorption dampens sound waves by converting them into weaker energy. Fiberglass batt insulation inside interior partitions actually converts sound to heat. Carpets, upholstered furniture, and acoustical ceilings also help with sound absorption in large open areas.
Blocking sound requires a barrier with enough mass to stop the air movement caused by airborne sound waves. You can block noise by using acoustical caulk in all gaps, double drywall, concrete walls and even lead sheeting.
Breaking the path of the sound means removing the point of contact between the inside and outside so sound doesn’t reverberate through the structure.
Acoustic wall studs or a layer of foam under flooring allow the inner surface to float and isolate the noise. Even if you’re not building a recording studio in your garage, there are lots of reasons to consider noise control.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees