- Major Systems >
- Quick Tip: Radiant Heat Has Other Options Beat
Quick Tip: Radiant Heat Has Other Options Beat
Save money on energy bills using radiant heating in your new home or remodel.
- Photo: bayhydronic.com
Start with Heat
Whether you’re building a whole house or just adding a new bathroom, one of your first decisions has to be how you’re going to heat the new space.
Benefits of Radiant Heat
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, radiant heat is more efficient than baseboard or forced air systems. Rather than just blowing hot air around the room in bursts, radiant systems slowly and steadily charge the floor with heat, keeping it where you want it, longer.
Hydronic Radiant Heat
Hydronic, or water-circulating, radiant systems are best for new construction or large additions. They come in many forms, for installation just below the subfloor between the joists, directly under tile or hardwood flooring, or even inside a concrete floor slab.
Electric Radiant Heat
Where you only need to heat a small space, like a bathroom, electric radiant heat is an easy luxury option. Electric radiant mats can be installed directly under tile and are ideal over a concrete subfloor. Set the timed thermostat to turn the system on only when you’ll be using the room, like the morning when you shower, and it will use less than 15 cents of electricity per day. This way, you don’t have to make room for ductwork or baseboard units when you add a bathroom.
On a cold winter morning, your toes will thank you for choosing radiant heat!
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees