- Major Systems >
- Soundproof Your Floors
Soundproof Your Floors
An easy solution to quiet a noisy floor is to install carpet and padding. The quality or thickness of the underlying pad will directly impact the degree of noise control and the wear of your carpet — the heavier the pad, the longer the carpet will last and the quieter your room will be. An additional layer of the acoustical underlayment can also be installed beneath the pad for added sound reduction.
When adding the acoustical board, cut the pieces to fit the room’s outline and leave 1/8- to ¼-inch gaps around all edges. Then use an acoustic sealant or silicone on the back of the acoustical sound board before nailing or screwing the boards in place. Once the new acoustical subfloor is in place, seal the edges along the 1/8th-inch gap with silicone or acoustic sealant to both block and break the spread of noise from one layer to the next. Once the silicone sets, new tack strips can be installed and the pad and carpet stretched into place as usual.
In existing homes, the only practical solution may be to approach the problem from below. Sound-deadening insulation or sound-muffling mats can be added beneath the sub floor between the floor joists. This solution may only be possible between the first floor and the basement where the floor joists are accessible. If the basement has a suspended ceiling, the existing ceiling tiles can be temporarily removed to weave insulation in between the joists.
Appliances like washers, dryers, and dishwashers on first or second floors may make sound deadening an extra challenge, but manufacturers have conquered much of the problem with rubberized mats that are placed beneath the machines.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees