- Green >
- How To: Save Energy at Home
How To: Save Energy at Home
Follow these 8 simple ways to reduce your energy consumption and energy bills!
- Photo: electronichouse.com
Let’s list some good bets for greening your routine:
- Switch to Fluorescent Lighting: Energy-saving fluorescent lighting has come a long way. There’s a fluorescent bulb to fit almost any fixture inside and outside your home, and they’re a good bet for lights that are used a lot because they last 10 times longer. If we all switched out 5 standard light bulbs for fluorescents, it would be like taking a million cars off the road for a year.
- Lower Your Thermostat: Put on a sweater, set your thermostat just two degrees lower in winter and cut your carbon emissions by 9 percent.
- Program Your Thermostat: A programmable thermostat is a great energy saver, automatically lowering your heat when you’re at work or asleep.
- Insulate Your Water Heater: Wrap your electric water heater in an insulation blanket and set it at 120 degrees.
- Replace Your Water Heater: If it’s time to replace your water heater, install a tankless unit for an endless supply of hot water at 40 percent savings over conventional tanks.
- Use Full Machines Only: Wash dishes and clothes only when the machines are full.
- Buy Energy-Efficient Appliances: When you buy an appliance, make sure it’s Energy Star certified.
- Use Green Power: Run it all with green power: Ask your utility company about buying your electricity from renewable sources, or visit the U.S. Department of Energy’s green power Web site.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees