- Major Systems >
- Green Homes—Lighting
Improved Lighting Efficiency
Rizzo and her colleague, Jean Paul Freyssinier-Nova, lighting research specialist and research assistant professor, say there are several ways to improve home lighting efficiency. Among them:
- Use CFLs where appropriate, such as table and floor lamps. Select CCTs, correlated color temperatures of 2700 to 3500 kelvins, depending on preference for how warm or cool light source should appear.
- Indirect lighting such as linear fluorescents will maximize room surfaces as extensions of light source, soften shadows, reduce glare, and create impressions of brighter spaces. It’s also a good technique to conceal light sources so just the effect of the light is appreciated.
- Dimmers on all incandescents will increase their life significantly and create atmosphere.
- Use occupancy, or vacancy, sensors wherever they make sense, such as in kids’ bedrooms, laundry rooms, bathrooms, closets, basements, and garages.
Rizzo said the LRC has been cautious in recommending LED products up until now, but there are better products hitting the market. “In the area of downlights, undercabinet lights and cove lighting, we can safely say that certain LED products perform well and are becoming easier to install,” she says. “Heat sinks are integrated into the fixture design, and they can be plugged in or hardwired to run on 120 volts rather than requiring a driver to run on 12 volts.” She suggests viewing products to determine light warmth or coolness.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees