- Green >
- Quick Tip: Solar Hot Water Systems Save Money
Quick Tip: Solar Hot Water Systems Save Money
Installing a solar hot water system makes sense for the environment and your wallet.
- Photo: Flickr
Reduce Fuel, Save Money
If you have a south-facing roof, you're probably paying too much for hot water. Over a million and a half homes and businesses in the U.S. have already invested in solar hot water systems, and they're reducing their fuel use by as much as three quarters, even in cooler climates. That's a huge dollar savings, but over 20 years, one solar water heater keeps 50 tons of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere and takes us one more step toward breaking that nasty fossil fuel habit.
Meet Your Family’s Needs
Solar technology has come a long way since the 70s and 80s: Even where it's cold, one or two solar collectors on the roof taking up about 65 square feet can provide 65 percent of the hot water used by a family of five. Best of all, its sustainable solar power doesn't run out!
Because this is your roof and any equipment is only as good as its installation, you want to be sure your installer and the system you buy are certified by the Solar Rating and Certification Corporation or the Florida Solar Energy Center.
Look for Rebates
Many states and utilities offer rebates of 15 percent or more on installation as well as other incentives to homeowners and businesses for going solar. Don't forget to check the Department of Energy's Database of State Incentives for Renewable Energy, or D-S-I-R-E, to see how you can save some green while you go green!
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees