- Tools & Workshop >
- How To: Use a Saw Properly
How To: Use a Saw Properly
Results depend on more than technology.
- Photo: Flickr
Preparation is the most important ingredient for making clean, accurate, safe cuts. To properly prepare for a cut, you must follow a strict regimen of steps:
- Determine and set up the saw and blade best for the material.
- Carefully measure and mark the cutting distance, angle and depth.
- Adjust the saw controls to precisely match those measurements.
- Check that every element of the saw and workpiece are secured.
- Think through the cut you are about to make, rechecking your measurements.
- Finally, after each of these steps has been completed, you can put on a pair of safety goggles and perform the cut with the confidence of knowing that the result will turn out exactly like you've planned.
Rough framing cuts are best accomplished with a circular saw. Its portable size makes it ideal for making fast rip and crosscuts into plywood and 2 x 4's—a must for building a deck, house framing, and large remodeling.
Smooth intricate and curved cuts are made with a sabre saw. The tiny teeth cut in an upward motion as the saw is slowly pushed down a straight or curved path. The saw can also be plunged to make internal cutouts.
Notches and Cutouts
With the right blade a reciprocating saw can cut anything from soft woods to heavy metals. The saw's shoe rests on the surface as the blade slices back and forth like a knife to cut through the material.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees