- How To's & Quick Tips >
- Mother's Day Gift Suggestions
Mother's Day Gift Suggestions
Find a home-related gift for mom's special day.
The days, and hours, and minutes to Mother’s Day are winding down, but you still have time to find a special home gift for mom.
Give the Gift of an Experience
Consider going beyond the usual small appliances, flowers, and restaurants, and giving the gift of an experience. Breakfast in bed is always a way to get the day off to a great start, perhaps prepared using environmentally friendly pots and pans from Ecolution Cookware, GreenPan, or Bialetti. And if you have kids, kitchen serving trays or handpainted gardening gloves are a way for them to provide a very special present for grandmother.
If you want to do something together with mom, many historical associations, like the Capital Hill Restoration Society in Washington, offer special house and garden tours on Mother’s Day weekend, sometimes combining the tour with a Sunday brunch and entertainment.
Some of the most memorable gifts come on a small budget, with just a little bit of elbow grease. Try helping mom reorganize her recycling area, or reducing her energy bill by switching her bulbs to energy-efficient CFL lighting, or checking out her air conditioning system before summer. You could also take on that long-needed painting job in a room or outdoors.
For a reasonable investment, you can buy and set up a hammock for the deck or backyard from Plow & Hearth and other retailers. Also popular are porch swings, which you can buy from a local retailer — perhaps inspired by designs from Cedar Swings N Things in Texas — and assemble pretty quickly. And the mood can be enhanced with wind chimes made from recycled metal or glass, sold by online retailers like greenproductsandgifts.com.
You can dress up her backyard with a solar-powered umbrella light from LampsPlus or perhaps you could string up a set of solar-powered lanterns from Uncommon Goods. You can take a quick trip to the local nursery to buy new trees or flowers to plant in mom’s yard.
Does your mother live in an apartment? At Trees Instead, you could have a tree dedicated to mom, planted in any state, Israel, or Africa. Or go small with a flowering bonsai tree from ProFlowers or a local store.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees