- Managing Construction >
- The Punch List
The Punch List
Take careful note of areas where the work isn't quite done or done right, and keep a "punch list."
- Photo: omnicomcares.com
As the end of the project approaches, enjoy the signs of completion as they emerge. At the same time, however, take careful note of areas where the work isn't quite done or done right. Like moldings that don't match up, a door that doesn't close, missing hardware, and other details.
Don't take it upon yourself to bring up every nit and pick with the nearest workman, or even with his boss. Instead, you should make a list. There's a term of art in the building trades for this final list of corrections.
It's called a punch list. The punch list isn't em hourly gift for your architect or contractor. Give it to him when you've got more than two or three items, and after he's had enough time to address the fixes you gave him on the last list. Keep copies for yourself, too, and follow up before you give him the next one to make sure what you asked for got done. If it didn't, find out why.
The punch list is a key part of getting the job completed. Always carry a small pad or notebook with you—it is critical to write things down. Don't trust your memory.
This is when that 10 percent of the final prices you're holding back comes in handy. You've got leverage now, so use it. Your contractor or some of the subs may complain and mumble under their breaths, but get the job finished before you pay.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees