- Major Systems >
- Plumbing Fixture Options
Plumbing Fixture Options
- Photo: Flickr
It's your call when it comes to selecting toilets, sinks, and other plumbing fixtures for your renovation. But a couple of very popular options might figure into your thinking. One's an old standard that's been reborn, the other a new engineering marvel.
The pedestal sink. Pedestal sinks were once almost a given in a bathroom. They went out of favor for decades (the advantages of the vanity cabinet for storage are obvious) but have come back into vogue. They're not the answer for everyone, but they can be very handsome.
As with virtually any household product, the price range is broad. With luck you may come across a slightly pitted but perfect usable sink at salvage for less than $100; new models start at about the same price. At the top of the line, you will find meticulously restored or newly designed models for $3,000 to $4,000! The choice is yours.
Low-flow toilets. Low-flow toilets are designed to use less water. While older designs used as much as 7 gallons per flush (gpf), low-flow models typically use a maximum of 1.6 gpf, the amount mandated first in Massachusetts then in California and subsequently in other states. Most of the low-flow toilets now on the market resemble conventional toilets, while matching their performance. Some of them, however, are loud, relying upon a plastic compression tank concealed within the vitreous china tank that uses the pressure in the supply line to force the water out of the tank, producing a whooshing sound. Even if you are not required by code to install low-flow toilets, it's an environmentally sound approach to do so.
The compression tank in a low-flow toilet is usually hidden by the vitreous china top of the tank.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees