- Buying & Selling Homes >
- Quick Tip: Hire a Home Inspector Before You Buy
Quick Tip: Hire a Home Inspector Before You Buy
Find out everything you can about the true state of the house’s condition, before you buy.
- Photo: From Bob Vila's "Basement Finishing and Family Space"
Search for Hidden Problems
Now, more than ever, buyer beware. Most sellers just aren’t motivated to do expensive repairs in this market, so problems sometimes get painted over or hidden, and it’s up to you to find them.
Work with a Home Inspector
Your best bet is to hire a certified home inspector. If you get a recommendation from your realtor, check references; you want an independent and unbiased opinion.
Your inspector should look at the house thoroughly with you and give you a written assessment of the house’s condition from top to bottom, including windows, doors, trim, siding, roof and chimneys. The report should include an assessment of the building’s structure and mention any signs of settling or instability. It should cover the siting of the house on the lot and tell you if there are any drainage issues you should be worried about. And it should give you an idea of the age and safety of all the mechanical systems in the house and whether anything is unsafe or needs to be replaced.
Negotiate with Power
The inspector’s report gives you leverage to negotiate a lower home price, have repairs made before closing or back out if you don’t want to deal with serious problems.
The Cost of Inspection
Depending on where you live, whom you hire and how long the inspection takes, the report will cost you anywhere from $200 to $700, but it can save you thousands. It’s definitely money well spent.
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees