- Buying & Selling Homes >
- Quick Tip: Why Home Staging Pays
Quick Tip: Why Home Staging Pays
Read our guide for simple home staging suggestions to help your home increase its resale value.
- Photo: newhomessection.com
Inviting Spaces Sell
Staging your home or creating a clean, well-presented space that draws positive attention can add 15 to 20 percent to the selling price. You can hire a professional stylist or do it yourself. Here are the basics.
Clear Away Clutter
First, clear the junk. Ruthlessly trash clutter and pack away personal items like family photos and knickknacks. Rent a self-storage space for half your furniture. Empty closets and most of the kitchen cabinets and rearrange rooms to show more floor space. Extra storage space in sheds, attics, basements and garages is a very good selling point, so clear them out as well.
Aim for a Clean, Fresh Look
Re-paint areas that show wear and tear or where expressions of personal taste might be distracting, and make the obvious repairs like leaky faucets and cracked window panes. Junk removal services can save a lot of backache and disposal hassles. Scrub everything, including the windows, and let in light and fresh air. Open the drapes. If they’re worn or outdated, take them down.
Set a Nice Stage
Imagine you’re taking photos for a magazine: Fluff the pillows, set the dining room table and never underestimate the power of fresh flowers. Don’t forget the yard. Get rid of any piles of debris, re-seed the lawn, weed the garden and lose that old patio furniture.
Who knows, after all that, you might not want to move!
- 10 Popular Driveway Options to Welcome You Home
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 20 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Reasons to Love Architectural Salvage
- 10 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Painted Cabinets: 10 Reasons to Transform Yours Now
- Kitchen Flooring: 8 Popular Choices
- 10 "Dream-Worthy" Swimming Pools
- Paint Guide: 10 Essentials for Successful House Painting
- Murphy Beds: 9 Hide-Away Sleepers
- 10 Low-Cost Ways to Improve Your Home Security
- 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet
- 13 Easy Ways to Repurpose Antique Armoires
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic House Styles
- 10 Things to Do with... Cross-Cut Trees