A community of bloggers who live and die to DIY
A Chair Affair: Thrift Store Dining Chair Makeovers
By DIY Show Off on Jun 14, 2012
Just a quick “after” of the chairs my sister Patti got for around $2-3 each for her dining room (she just moved her family back and is on a tight budget for furnishing her new home). Shopping was done at thrift stores, 2nd hand furniture store, yardsales and auctions.
A little clean up and all chair cushions were re-upholstered. Patti chose coordinating royal blue floral and paisley patterns.
- Remove seats from wooden chair base.
- Remove old fabric (usually stapled on)
- Lay out new fabric with seat upside down in the middle of a piece of fabric (about 1/2 yard should be more than enough). Cut fabric to size (a couple of inches larger all the way around).
- I fold my unfinished edges under while working my way around the seat, stapling as I go.
- Start with the center of one side, fold fabric under then pull and staple to the under side of the seat. Do the center of each side, pulling tight as you go.
- After each side center is stapled, I move the corners. Taking the corner of the fabric, pull tight and staple. I wrap the corners the same way I wrap a gift.
- Staple the fabric all the way around (fabric folded under) the bottom of the chair seat.
- Reattach the seat to the chair frame with screws.
We love the dark stain on these and that they’re all different but all coordinate now…
Click the pictures below for original links to more beautiful dining room chair makeovers by some super talented blog friends:
blog comments powered by Disqus