Expert advice from Bob Vila, the most trusted name in home improvement, home remodeling, home repair, and DIY.

Bob's Bloggers

A community of bloggers who live and die to DIY

diy

DIY Tales: Fixing Wood Stain Splotches

By Picardy Project on Oct 22, 2013

So there were splotchy marks on the face frames that I fixed pretty well

IMG_4186.JPG

But then there were other areas that I just stained like shit!

IMG_4243.JPG

Ummm, or just completely forgot about finishing....

IMG_4293.JPG


Idiot over here.

And now that Chris got the surround of the faux drawers on, the little bits of wood filler needed to be touched up as well.

IMG_4283.JPG


There was also the inside of the pocket that the mattress will sit in that needed stain too.

IMG_4284.JPG


So I brought out the stain, again, and touched up, stained the areas I completely forgot about and stained the pocket.

IMG_4295.JPG

IMG_4296.JPG

IMG_4298.JPG

IMG_4299.JPG


Oh maaannnn it was looking pretty. Third time's a charm for staining I guess :)

But once the stain was all done, it was time for the poly. We've had good luck with wipe on poly (and some of you commented that you had as well). And because we'll be jumping in and out of bed every day we wanted to make sure that it was super durable and held up to being used (kicked, ran into, knocked against, hands run over, etc.) every single day. Because of that we elected for several coats of poly.

But first, I lightly sanded everything with this pad:

IMG_4315.JPG


I just barely ran it over the surface of the face frames to knock down any raised grain. I don't think you could even consider it a sanding because I went over it so lightly, it was more of a brushing. Once I was done with that I cleaned everything off with mineral spirits, waited for everything to dry and then got started with the poly.

We want the finished sheen to be satin, but in order for it to be really durable we elected to apply 4 coats of clear gloss poly first.

IMG_4335.JPG


As each layer went on it was looking prettier!

IMG_4318.JPG


And finally, the 5th and final coat went on: Satin.

IMG_4336.JPG

IMG_4338.JPG

IMG_4341.JPG

IMG_4342.JPG


They're all looking sooooo yummy! And now that the face frames are FINALLY done we can get started building the drawers!

Visit Picardy Project »

blog comments powered by Disqus