Expert advice from Bob Vila, the most trusted name in home improvement, home remodeling, home repair, and DIY.

Bob's Bloggers

A community of bloggers who live and die to DIY

paint, trim & molding

What a Difference a Good Paint Job Can Make!

By Picardy Project on Aug 15, 2013

The next step of painting in the hallway is getting all the trim done. That means 6 doorways and the baseboard. And the trim is kind of messed up:





Clearly, lots of work needs to be done before this is at all paintable.

First up, came the scraping. This has all most likely been painted pre-70s, so we're sure there must be lead paint in there somewhere. So, we made sure Zoe wasn't around while I got started scraping things. 45 minutes gave me this:


I moved around all 6 doors and scraped off a lot of peeling paint. But the trim still looked like shit. We knew things wouldn't be able to get perfect before we painted, but we didn't want paint peeling — so we decided to sand. Our Festool sander hooked up to the vacuum is EPA rated for sanding off lead paint. Chris brought it into the hallway (again when Zoe wasn't around, just to be safe) and sanded down the really problematic areas. When he was done the trim looked like this:




It's not perfect, but it's a lot better. Really the only way you can make a new paint job look better is by sanding down to bare wood it seems, and well, we don't really have the patience for that. Chris had feathered out a decent amount though, so we thought the new paint would go over well without it looking too much like crap. :)

The last step before painting was installing the trim around the closet opening. This opening isn't original to the house because it was trimmed out really weird and we could see evidence of previous framing jobs inside the closet. I wish we had an original blueprint to the house so we could see what this closet space looked like originally. To make it look original though, we wanted to trim it out with the curved trim. We had some leftover original trim, but we only had one curved corner piece. The only problem is the trim we buy new to look like this old trim is slightly larger, so it's not a perfect match. Chris had to use the jigsaw to cut the curve down a bit and I think he did a pretty good job considering the only way to get a perfect match would be to mill our own



Once the trim around the closet was done, it was time for Zoe and I to come in and prime and paint everything. I was REALLY excited for this step because the trim paint in here is an awful yellow/beige color, just like the crown. Not pretty. But as soon as that primer started going on, it was magic.


And after the color coat went on, things looked even brighter!



It was just too exciting to not jump right in and paint the walls. So that's just what I did one morning before going to work and before Chris woke up :)


You can barely see it, but I started the cut-ins along the door frame and baseboard. We went with a very light gray/blue (Glidden's Shaded Ice) in a Satin finish. I got all the low cut-ins done before I made breakfast.


And after I got home from work this is what Chris had done:







Just beautiful. I love the lightness of the hallway now. It felt so dark and dingy and depressing. Now it's a brighter, cleaner space. Last things left to do: hang artwork, sew the curtain "door" for the closet and put things in the corner cabinet. I smell the finish line. And a lot of things checked off the list :)

Visit Picardy Project »

blog comments powered by Disqus