A community of bloggers who live and die to DIY
Making Over an Old Dresser with a Few Maps and a Lot of Mod Podge
By Stylish Patina on Jun 20, 2013
So many of you can tell by the furniture that I transform I don’t do a lot of “fluffy” projects, but I’ve had the decoupage map desk project in my head for a while; so for the Rough Luxe Marketplace opening, I finally did it!
I started with something like this (of course I didn’t take a before pic!).
Then I painted the entire desk in Aubusson Blue Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan. The next steps were as follows…
1. Apply modge podge all over the top of the desk.
2. Let it get tacky for about 25 minutes.
3. I took an old atlas book and ripped out pages and randomly placed them on the top. Once you place them down you cannot remove them
4. I then put some modge podge on top to make sure all the edges were down and sticking to the top. I let this sit overnight.
5. The next day I applied General Finished High Performance poly. I applied 2 coats thoughout the day and then sanded a little between coats..
6. Finally, I distressd and applied the same poly all over the base of the desk too. Yes, I said POLY over Chalk Paint®. You can do this …. I will admit it’s not my preferred way to do furniture but it was perfect for this desk!
You will see I left some of the edges torn to add a little character.
blog comments powered by Disqus