A community of bloggers who live and die to DIY
DIY Tales: Dresser Makeover... She’s a Classy Lady Now
By Creatively Living on Jan 22, 2014
When we moved in we needed dressers, and my Mother in Law was awesome and brought over four!
We had them stored in the basement and one day it dawned on me that this one would fit perfectly in the entryway. All the drawers would be great for gloves, hats, school papers etc…
Here’s a before pic, that I didn’t remember to take until I was half way through painting.
The dresser wasn’t in that bad of shape when it arrived, but needed some work. A knob was missing, and there used to be a bottom “something or other” that had been taken off and now the stubs of plywood it was resting on were showing, BUT….she fit so nicely in the entryway space and was free to me, so she was going to work!
I started by painting the dresser with my trim paint. Which is a paint/primer semi-gloss mix color matched to BM’s White Dove. She looked pretty roughed up, so I didn’t sand…..MISTAKE. I had to go back and sand all the paint off. How many time will I have to learn that lesson?
I wasn’t sure how I wanted the top and knobs, but I knew I didn’t want to put money into all new knobs, so I used the well-loved-by-DIYer’s Gold Medal spray paint by Design Master. You can get it at Micheal’s with your 40% off coupon.
I actually started by waxing the knobs with dark brown wax and decided I didn’t like them at all! They made the dresser look very country, and although the knobs were pretty, it was not at all what I was going for.
So I sprayed them with the Gold Medal Spray Paint, and some of the waxy wood showed through….I loved the look.
Here’s another one. So far they have held up just fine.
The top was already stained, but was a little redish, so I gave it a couple coats of dark wax.
I kept a lot of dents and marks.
It took me awhile to figure out how to cover the plywood stumps. There was probably a strip of wood across the bottom originally. I had some feet in my basement that I bought for a different project and never used, so I decided to cut them to fit over the plywood.
I ended up loving the legs. Adding them made the dresser look so classy!
I’m so happy with how this dresser turned out, and I can’t beat that I only had to buy some spray paint to finish it!
I’m waiting on an exciting project to come in the mail, and then I should be able to show you the finished entryway!
I’m so ready to get it completely done!
blog comments powered by Disqus