I picked up this small chest of drawers really cheap. I decided to use it as my "brave creation". A traditional re-finisher, but I went bright Barn red. I actually learned to admire the color and still make it somewhat traditional. What I love most about this project is the French Typography on the top; complimenting the "old country style" I tried to create. So this little "wing with it" project became a kitchen linen storage piece.
A former project started by another DIY'er who decided not to continue. I bought a "gloppy hardened mess".
It may have stored for some time. It needed a lot of clean up.
I'll keep the hardware, just painting them will do well. One is missing the handle, but I can make a mold to replace it.
Starting the clean up with soap & water, then sanded when dried.
After cleaning and light sanding on the drawers, I rolled on latex enamel. Eeeek! Red! Not a comfort zone for me. But this is a "brave" piece anyway.
Now cleaning the top and frame to sand. I have no idea what was spilled on this. But it did come off.
Sanded and vacuumed out.
More paint rolling.
Now for a glazing trial. Blending in some "Onyx"
Last drawer rolled on.
Placing hardware and drawers back.
Now to work on the bare wood top.
All ready for creating.
I found graphics from the Graphic Fairy. ( http://thegraphicsfairy.com/ ) She has wonderful French Typography. Perfect for what I had in mind here. She also features so many tips for painting techniques and transferring graphics. I don't have some of the gadgets that were suggested so I had to pencil draw these using her graphics.
Using the same "Onyx" Expression Color as I did on the dresser, I also used it to "paint" my design.
When the paint dried, I applied stain over the top. Then added a thin coat of Lacquer to seal it off.
"The French Chicken"
Thank you, Graphics Fairy!
Doing this color and this technique is not my "norm". I'm all earth-toney and a traditional re-finisher. This project helped me overcome my fear of color.
Hardware, handles and knobs were painted in Gloss black that I allowed to get tacky and "roughed it up " by tapping them with a cloth for a mix of gloss and age.
Thank you for stopping by to check out my new bravery piece!