Expert advice from Bob Vila, the most trusted name in home improvement, home remodeling, home repair, and DIY.

Bob's Bloggers

A community of bloggers who live and die to DIY

diy, furniture

DIY Tales: Old Chair Redo

By Redo It Yourself Inspirations on Feb 27, 2014

I'm not sure of the age of this chair, but by the appearance of the three layers of finishes and seat covers, it must be early 1900's. Maybe you can help me date it through the process posted.

I was asked to do this chair to revive the wood and if I had to paint it fine, but a "have at it" was offered to me. I did refinish the wood and added a bit of color while giving it an aged look. My focal point was the back rest, it was originally made to be the main attraction. So it became mine.

before+after+old+chair.jpg


before+old+chair+collage.jpg
Before and during details.


old+chair+before+.jpg
More before photos
arm+before+after.jpg
The arms also needed some attention.



WP_20140213_001.jpg
The seat had three coverings. This Bicentennial fabric topped it, being a very Colonial 70's theme.


WP_20140213_002.jpg
Can you say "Bless you"? This process bothered my allergies.
WP_20140213_009.jpg
This is the second covering. Embroidered fabric, and kind of Pennsylvania Dutch. Under this was cotton batting.
Ah-choo, ach-choo...

WP_20140213_010.jpg

WP_20140213_007.jpg
And here is the original leather seat cover. Hardly salvageable.
WP_20140213_017.jpg
Getting down to the bare bones.
WP_20140213_020.jpg
The last layer of fabric was attached with large staples. Second with small nails.
WP_20140213_014.jpg
The original nails and they were teeeeny tiny!
WP_20140213_026.jpg
About 100 nails gone. Finally.
WP_20140225_011.jpg
This leftover breadboard makes a great seat support.

WP_20140225_012.jpg


WP_20140225_014.jpg
Perfect. Now back to the chair.


WP_20140222_001.jpg
First round of sanding. The finish won. I had to start stripping. The original finish was coated with a thin brown paint and over that was a lumpy bumpy clear coat.
WP_20140222_011.jpg
First stripper scraping off.


WP_20140222_016.jpg
Second, and still not budging enough.

WP_20140222_018.jpg


WP_20140222_021.jpg
Three stripping attempts and finally workable.
WP_20140223_006.jpg
Sand and sand and sand and on and on.


WP_20140223_012.jpg
I cut into the inside of the arms to curve them out a bit and sanded to round off. The same with the front of the armrest.


WP_20140223_004.jpg
Sanded clean and ready to stain.


WP_20140224_022.jpg
Staining and painting a few features.


WP_20140224_025.jpg
Painted the decorative accents turquoise with a chalk paint.
WP_20140225_001.jpg
Now a coat of lacquer.

WP_20140225_002.jpg

WP_20140225_004.jpg

WP_20140225_005.jpg

WP_20140225_034.jpg
Black paint here and there to age the chair. Brush on, wipe off.
WP_20140225_017.jpg
Now for the seat finish up.


WP_20140225_018.jpg
Half inch foam cut to size to fill the seat frame.


WP_20140225_021.jpg
A second layer to completely fill it up and provide more padding.


WP_20140225_023.jpg
Cut off a piece from a memory foam mattress pad.


WP_20140225_024.jpg

This is when you have all tools at arms reach. Getting up off this set up makes you lose your place. This is me kneeling on the fabric, 3" memory foam and the seat frame all at once and lined up to put it all together.

I squished the foam to about 3/4" to staple the fabric to the frame.


WP_20140225_027.jpg
Mission accomplished.


WP_20140225_028.jpg
By golly, it looks just as I imagined!

WP_20140225_030.jpg

WP_20140225_049.jpg

DSC03608.JPG

DSC03619.JPG

DSC03621.JPG

Now it's off to the owner.

Visit Redo It Yourself Inspirations »

blog comments powered by Disqus