Expert advice from Bob Vila, the most trusted name in home improvement, home remodeling, home repair, and DIY.

Bob's Bloggers

A community of bloggers who live and die to DIY

diy, decor

DIY Painting Poster Frames

By Picardy Project on Mar 14, 2013

Once our frames were all built, it was time to get them painted and installed.

IMG_1256.JPG

Before painting, we worked on patching the slight imperfections in the corners

IMG_1282.JPG

We used wood filler to fill the gaps. Chris used a small putty knife on the face of the frames

IMG_1281.JPG

And I went around and applied the filler to the outside edges

IMG_1283.JPG

We left the frames alone for a couple of hours, then returned to sand them down. Chris used the orbital sander on the frame faces

IMG_1311.JPG

And we sanded the edges by hand

IMG_1313.JPG

After that, we were finally ready for paint, yay! It was such a nice day that we took all ten frames outside to paint them while enjoying the sunshine

IMG_1319.JPG

Because our primer is water-based, the grain was raised a bit after the first coat, so we sanded again to make things smooth. This revealed a bit of the bare wood in some places so I painted a second coat of primer over everything

IMG_1326.JPG

Happy preggo painter

IMG_1331.JPG

After everything got two coats of primer and two color coats (white water/oil hybrid), we brought everything inside.

A day or two went by to really let everything set up, then we got ready to prep the frames for hanging.

You can put a number of brackets on the back of artwork to hang it, but Chris wanted to get fancy and use his plunge router to cut a key hole slot

IMG_1340.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

Chris cut the first one and when we lifted it off the table, we noticed some scuff marks, doh!

IMG_1362.JPG

The simple solution was just putting down some paper to protect the frames as they sat face-down on the table

IMG_1364.JPG

Then Chris set up a jig to make sure that each key hole was getting cut at the exact same size

IMG_1367.JPG

The black stop on the right was the starting point, and the piece of wood drilled down was the stop on the left. Chris plowed through and cut for the key hole in the remaining nine

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

In the evening we brought all the materials inside, finally ready to put all the frames and posters together

IMG_1371.JPG

I set in each piece of glass and cleaned it before placing the poster inside. Chris used this handy tool (I can't remember the name) specifically designed to insert points into the edges of the frame to hold in your artwork

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

Then he gave each frame back to me, I cleaned off the front, and we had a pretty picture frame

IMG_1381.JPG

We worked like that for about an hour

IMG_1382.JPG

Soon we had all ten frames done and ready to hang!

I played around with placement to see which posters we liked together and where we wanted them to go. These four will go on the wall next to the front door

IMG_1384.JPG

And these six...

IMG_1388.JPG

... will go on this wall

IMG_1389.JPG

At first I wanted them vertically aligned (two wide, three tall) like how our National Park posters are in the front room.

But this is our "family room"—Cashew will play in here a lot—so we decided that aligning them horizontally was probably a better idea for safety, and so her (eventual) toys don't block the beautiful artwork :)

Now we just have to hang them and the room is DONE!

Visit Picardy Project »

blog comments powered by Disqus