Expert advice from Bob Vila, the most trusted name in home improvement, home remodeling, home repair, and DIY.

Bob's Bloggers

A community of bloggers who live and die to DIY

trim & molding

A Beadboard Installation Project for the Ages

By Living Vintage on Aug 23, 2013

We completed our beadboard project!

We were hired to install reclaimed beadboard to the ceiling and bookshelves in Katie and Ryan’s sunroom. They had bought the old beadboard on Craigslist, and they wanted us to clean, install, and polyurethane it.

Here’s what we did and how we did it.

(If you just want to see the finished project, just scroll to the bottom!)

On the morning of our first day, the guys loaded up the beadboard while I carted our dogs into town to board them for a few days.

Mark and John load up the old beadboard - Living Vintage

By the time I got back, they were loaded up. (Yay for me!)

After tying everything down really well, we hit the road to Bryan.

beadboard completed loaded to trailer - Living Vintage

We arrived in Bryan right after lunch, and we started unloading all of the old beadboard into our client’s garage.

As we unloaded, we took our time organizing the pile by color as best we could. We knew it would make installation easier, plus we could assess how much we had of each color.

All the pretty beadboard colors - Living Vintage

I still can’t believe I cleaned all of this!

Big pile of reclaimed beadboard - Living Vintage

We got right to work in Katie and Ryan’s sunroom. This photo shows the room before we did any installation work.

the sunroom before we started - Living Vintage

The patio doors in the sunroom open up to a brick patio paved with old bricks. I thought it was so lovely, and if I lived there, boy howdy, would I be spending quality time out there! I admired it multiple times before the job was done.

Katie and Ryan's brick patio - Living Vintage

We got a lot of prep work done on the first day.

First, the guys assessed if we would need to install plywood to the ceiling. Fortunately, they discovered that there was already plywood underneath the drywall. So that made our lives easier and the final invoice less expensive.

After that, the guys removed all the shelves in the bookcase, the ceiling fan, the HVAC covers …

Mark and John removed the ceiling fan and HVAC covers

Although not within the scope of the project, we also offered to remove a window that originally opened up to the backyard. Katie took us up on that offer.

Mark and John remove the original window

(Katy and Ryan’s sunroom is an addition to their home. Whoever originally did the work left the original window in place. I have no idea why.)

We started with the bookshelves first, to get the smaller part of the job out of the way first.

It was a team effort.

John did the nailing.

Living Vintage - John did the nailing

Mark did the cutting in the driveway under a shade tree.

Mark operating the chop saw - Living Vintage

I was the runner and message girl, communicating measurements and color choices. That’s what I did the first day, anyway.

Here’s what the bookshelves looked like after (almost) 7 rows ….

The beginning of our bookshelf beadboard project - Living Vintage

Here’s what they looked like when we were about halfway done.

About halfway done with the bookshelf beadboard project - Living Vintage

This is what the bookshelves looked like at the end of the first day~

bookshelf beadboard install finished - Living Vintage

continue reading

The post Our Beadboard Installation Project in Bryan appeared first on Living Vintage.

hnGfxOpT-7s

Visit Living Vintage »

blog comments powered by Disqus