Ok, I have an odd project. I have built a frame to hold a outdoor water tank which will be the home to several high quality koi. It is 20 feet long, 4 feet wide and 4 feet deep. The structure is sound and will support the weight of the water. I built it out of 2x4's, 2x6's and 4x4's. I am worried that over time the wood will rot and eventually give out under the stress. The entire structure in on a cement pad and the wood that is in contact with the cement is pressure treated, the rest is standard. I need to seal/protect the wood so it won't rot away.
Basically the wood frame will have 5/8" or 3/4" ply on the inside and then a rubber liner (45mill epdm) will hold the water. Between the ply and the liner I will have old carpeting to prevent slivers of plywood from poking holes in the liner. I need to do two things. A) prevent rain and dew from getting the outside of the wood wet, right now it is just the exposed wood frame. I was thinking of the OSB board, paper, lath and stucco. Then B) I need to keep the inside ply from getting wet because the cool water on a hot day will cause condensation on the outside of the liner and soak into the ply. Not sure if the carpet will help or make it worse by soaking up and holding the water next to the wood.
I was thinking of using marine grade plywood on the inside, but at $60 a sheet I can't afford it.
see my drawing below. Can I use that black roofing paper between the ply and the carpet? Maybe seal the wood with an outdoor paint or wood sealer? how do I stucco the outside of the wood frame to keep water out?Any help would be appreciated. cost is definitely an issue.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!