I live in Colorado and am searching for a home to buy. I found one I really like however when lookin at the basement I was surprised to see it had a wood floor instead of a concrete slab. Why would someone build a basement floor out of wood instead of concrete? Is it safe or a good idea?
I wouldn't use wood in the basement because the moisture issue and how that would affect the wood. Is there concrete underneath? I would look at the house as complete picture, though....you could always change this part if everything else fits your criteria.
there is a site called matplex.com with some installation details if you go down the path of wood floors.
Is it a wooden plank floor laid right over the dirt? That would be a pretty pioneering thing to find but if the house is 19th century it's entirely possible. If it's a finished hardwood floor laid over a concrete slab then you have a perfectly fine situation as long as there are no indications of damp coming through. Are any of the boards warped or separating? Is it a nice dry basement. If yes I think you're OK.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes