I live in Colorado and am searching for a home to buy. I found one I really like however when lookin at the basement I was surprised to see it had a wood floor instead of a concrete slab. Why would someone build a basement floor out of wood instead of concrete? Is it safe or a good idea?
I wouldn't use wood in the basement because the moisture issue and how that would affect the wood. Is there concrete underneath? I would look at the house as complete picture, though....you could always change this part if everything else fits your criteria.
there is a site called matplex.com with some installation details if you go down the path of wood floors.
Is it a wooden plank floor laid right over the dirt? That would be a pretty pioneering thing to find but if the house is 19th century it's entirely possible. If it's a finished hardwood floor laid over a concrete slab then you have a perfectly fine situation as long as there are no indications of damp coming through. Are any of the boards warped or separating? Is it a nice dry basement. If yes I think you're OK.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!