I live in Colorado and am searching for a home to buy. I found one I really like however when lookin at the basement I was surprised to see it had a wood floor instead of a concrete slab. Why would someone build a basement floor out of wood instead of concrete? Is it safe or a good idea?
I wouldn't use wood in the basement because the moisture issue and how that would affect the wood. Is there concrete underneath? I would look at the house as complete picture, though....you could always change this part if everything else fits your criteria.
there is a site called matplex.com with some installation details if you go down the path of wood floors.
Is it a wooden plank floor laid right over the dirt? That would be a pretty pioneering thing to find but if the house is 19th century it's entirely possible. If it's a finished hardwood floor laid over a concrete slab then you have a perfectly fine situation as long as there are no indications of damp coming through. Are any of the boards warped or separating? Is it a nice dry basement. If yes I think you're OK.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!