I have a deck that is 60" high with 7 step riser. I am wanting to build a bottom wood deck/patio off of the bottom step. My questions is, can I use some of the existing 4x4 posts to tie in the bottom deck? I will be placing the outer posts in concrete?
Or would I be weakening the existing 4x4 posts by drilling carriage bolts?
I think you need new posts all the way around, but it depends on the size and the weight it will carry. I would try your local building dept. to see what their requirements are.
there is a good site called matplex.com that has some installation details and also great resource for lumber pricing
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love