I have a deck that is 60" high with 7 step riser. I am wanting to build a bottom wood deck/patio off of the bottom step. My questions is, can I use some of the existing 4x4 posts to tie in the bottom deck? I will be placing the outer posts in concrete?
Or would I be weakening the existing 4x4 posts by drilling carriage bolts?
I think you need new posts all the way around, but it depends on the size and the weight it will carry. I would try your local building dept. to see what their requirements are.
there is a good site called matplex.com that has some installation details and also great resource for lumber pricing
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING