My 150 yr old Victorian has a combination of brick and cement foundation, with brick support columns down the center of the house. (Only 2 spanning about 50 feet)The brick is starting to crumble.
A second floor bedroom has noticeably sagged, and I now have adjustable lally columns in my basement, near the brick and two in the middle of my living room, where the sag shows in the ceiling...
Can these lally columns or even do-it-myself cement block next to/ around the offending columns be enough, or is this major surgery?
I'd err on the side of caution and call in one or two structural engineers for an opinion. What is the condition of the support beams?
Replacing Basement Support Posts
Leak under porch in basement when it rains
Painting poured concrete basement walls (Stamped Bri...
lowering basement floor?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 10 DIY Ways Renters Can Customize Their Space
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Secondhand Shopping Tips