I took down the existing ceiling fan with light fixture and put up a simple light fixture w/out a fan. The fan/light was controlled by one switch, with simple wiring (one black and one white wire). When I turned the breaker back on, the light came on, yay, but now the light won't turn off.
The wiring from the ceiling consists of two black, two white, and a ground...the wiring in the new light fixture also has two white, two black, and a ground wire.
How should these be connected?
You need to know which cable is the power feed and which cable runs to the switch. As far as the light fixture is concerned the 2 blacks and the 2 whites connect together. Then the whites are connected to the white from the power feed cable. Then the black power feed cable connects to the black wire from the switch,and the white wire from the switch connects to the 2 blacks from the fixture.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!