I took down the existing ceiling fan with light fixture and put up a simple light fixture w/out a fan. The fan/light was controlled by one switch, with simple wiring (one black and one white wire). When I turned the breaker back on, the light came on, yay, but now the light won't turn off.
The wiring from the ceiling consists of two black, two white, and a ground...the wiring in the new light fixture also has two white, two black, and a ground wire.
How should these be connected?
You need to know which cable is the power feed and which cable runs to the switch. As far as the light fixture is concerned the 2 blacks and the 2 whites connect together. Then the whites are connected to the white from the power feed cable. Then the black power feed cable connects to the black wire from the switch,and the white wire from the switch connects to the 2 blacks from the fixture.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!