I took down the existing ceiling fan with light fixture and put up a simple light fixture w/out a fan. The fan/light was controlled by one switch, with simple wiring (one black and one white wire). When I turned the breaker back on, the light came on, yay, but now the light won't turn off.
The wiring from the ceiling consists of two black, two white, and a ground...the wiring in the new light fixture also has two white, two black, and a ground wire.
How should these be connected?
You need to know which cable is the power feed and which cable runs to the switch. As far as the light fixture is concerned the 2 blacks and the 2 whites connect together. Then the whites are connected to the white from the power feed cable. Then the black power feed cable connects to the black wire from the switch,and the white wire from the switch connects to the 2 blacks from the fixture.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes