Our house is about 60 years old, and the original wood staircase and hardwood floors, both inside the house, have become squeaky in several spots. I've been told the stairs are pine, and the floors are oak.
How can we get rid of the squeaks? Some people have told me that nails can remedy the squeaks, but do you think it would be wiser to re-do the staircase and floors altogether? How much would it approximately cost to remedy with nails vs. re-doing the staircase and flooring? How do we go about assessing the best way to remedy the squeaks? Are there specialists for wood flooring?
No idea without seeing but there are lots of ways to fasten flooring and stair risers so they quiet down. See (http://www.bobvila.com/sections/home-improvement/projects/6-basement-finishing-and-family-space/episodes/64-moving-the-oil-tank-for-new-heating-cooling-and-air-filtration?v_id=684375705001) with Howard Brickman giving tips on the subject.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!