Our house is about 60 years old, and the original wood staircase and hardwood floors, both inside the house, have become squeaky in several spots. I've been told the stairs are pine, and the floors are oak.
How can we get rid of the squeaks? Some people have told me that nails can remedy the squeaks, but do you think it would be wiser to re-do the staircase and floors altogether? How much would it approximately cost to remedy with nails vs. re-doing the staircase and flooring? How do we go about assessing the best way to remedy the squeaks? Are there specialists for wood flooring?
No idea without seeing but there are lots of ways to fasten flooring and stair risers so they quiet down. See (http://www.bobvila.com/sections/home-improvement/projects/6-basement-finishing-and-family-space/episodes/64-moving-the-oil-tank-for-new-heating-cooling-and-air-filtration?v_id=684375705001) with Howard Brickman giving tips on the subject.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!