I want to dig a shallow strip around my home, about a foot wide, and put down pea gravel in an effort to quell weeds and bugs. However, I'm concerned about how to do so, as my home sits on a small hill and has a basement, so it slopes down toward the back. I don't want water to cascade into the basement via the gravel strip. How should I do this? What should I line the dug-out area with before putting down the gravel and how can I keep water from draining into the basement? Thanks.
If you're looking to keep weeds down, I would put down mulch instead. Do you have space to make it a little wider, even 2-3 feet? If so, you could add hosta--very low maintenance and they spread quickly and keep out weeds. It will look more decorative.
I really don't want to add any more growing things around my home, but will consider your suggestion. However, in the back, I really am putting down pea gravel, as I don't want any vegetation around the heat pump.
I think the key is to get the slope away from the house. You may have to put secure edging around the pea gravel to make sure it stays at that slope. You may want to talk with a landscaper to get their opinion as well. good luck!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 11 Homemade Sheds to Fill Your Storage Needs
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight