I want to dig a shallow strip around my home, about a foot wide, and put down pea gravel in an effort to quell weeds and bugs. However, I'm concerned about how to do so, as my home sits on a small hill and has a basement, so it slopes down toward the back. I don't want water to cascade into the basement via the gravel strip. How should I do this? What should I line the dug-out area with before putting down the gravel and how can I keep water from draining into the basement? Thanks.
If you're looking to keep weeds down, I would put down mulch instead. Do you have space to make it a little wider, even 2-3 feet? If so, you could add hosta--very low maintenance and they spread quickly and keep out weeds. It will look more decorative.
I really don't want to add any more growing things around my home, but will consider your suggestion. However, in the back, I really am putting down pea gravel, as I don't want any vegetation around the heat pump.
I think the key is to get the slope away from the house. You may have to put secure edging around the pea gravel to make sure it stays at that slope. You may want to talk with a landscaper to get their opinion as well. good luck!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes