I want to dig a shallow strip around my home, about a foot wide, and put down pea gravel in an effort to quell weeds and bugs. However, I'm concerned about how to do so, as my home sits on a small hill and has a basement, so it slopes down toward the back. I don't want water to cascade into the basement via the gravel strip. How should I do this? What should I line the dug-out area with before putting down the gravel and how can I keep water from draining into the basement? Thanks.
If you're looking to keep weeds down, I would put down mulch instead. Do you have space to make it a little wider, even 2-3 feet? If so, you could add hosta--very low maintenance and they spread quickly and keep out weeds. It will look more decorative.
I really don't want to add any more growing things around my home, but will consider your suggestion. However, in the back, I really am putting down pea gravel, as I don't want any vegetation around the heat pump.
I think the key is to get the slope away from the house. You may have to put secure edging around the pea gravel to make sure it stays at that slope. You may want to talk with a landscaper to get their opinion as well. good luck!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!