My name is Chantel and I'm pondering whether or not I should refinish my old banister. It is not in too terrible bad condition, it is dull and has some scratches...however I absolutly must refinish the floors, they are worn down to bare wood in places, stained, scratched and cupped in places. I am worried that once I redo the floors, the banister will not match. I really hate to touch the banister because it has a lot of nice alligatored finish as well as the rest of the baseboards and crownwork around the house.
Also, any suggestions for removing paint from said baseboards? Some fool thought paint was the fix-all for this 1905 jewel. Help me make her grand again!!! will send photos if you recommend.
You should definitely refinish the banister! Crackling or crazed old varnish is attractive to some but not me. You can often correct the problem with a light sanding and fresh coat of varnish. You might remove one of the spindles and take it to the paint store so they can help you determine the best product to use.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING