My name is Chantel and I'm pondering whether or not I should refinish my old banister. It is not in too terrible bad condition, it is dull and has some scratches...however I absolutly must refinish the floors, they are worn down to bare wood in places, stained, scratched and cupped in places. I am worried that once I redo the floors, the banister will not match. I really hate to touch the banister because it has a lot of nice alligatored finish as well as the rest of the baseboards and crownwork around the house.
Also, any suggestions for removing paint from said baseboards? Some fool thought paint was the fix-all for this 1905 jewel. Help me make her grand again!!! will send photos if you recommend.
You should definitely refinish the banister! Crackling or crazed old varnish is attractive to some but not me. You can often correct the problem with a light sanding and fresh coat of varnish. You might remove one of the spindles and take it to the paint store so they can help you determine the best product to use.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes