My name is Chantel and I'm pondering whether or not I should refinish my old banister. It is not in too terrible bad condition, it is dull and has some scratches...however I absolutly must refinish the floors, they are worn down to bare wood in places, stained, scratched and cupped in places. I am worried that once I redo the floors, the banister will not match. I really hate to touch the banister because it has a lot of nice alligatored finish as well as the rest of the baseboards and crownwork around the house.
Also, any suggestions for removing paint from said baseboards? Some fool thought paint was the fix-all for this 1905 jewel. Help me make her grand again!!! will send photos if you recommend.
You should definitely refinish the banister! Crackling or crazed old varnish is attractive to some but not me. You can often correct the problem with a light sanding and fresh coat of varnish. You might remove one of the spindles and take it to the paint store so they can help you determine the best product to use.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?