My name is Chantel and I'm pondering whether or not I should refinish my old banister. It is not in too terrible bad condition, it is dull and has some scratches...however I absolutly must refinish the floors, they are worn down to bare wood in places, stained, scratched and cupped in places. I am worried that once I redo the floors, the banister will not match. I really hate to touch the banister because it has a lot of nice alligatored finish as well as the rest of the baseboards and crownwork around the house.
Also, any suggestions for removing paint from said baseboards? Some fool thought paint was the fix-all for this 1905 jewel. Help me make her grand again!!! will send photos if you recommend.
You should definitely refinish the banister! Crackling or crazed old varnish is attractive to some but not me. You can often correct the problem with a light sanding and fresh coat of varnish. You might remove one of the spindles and take it to the paint store so they can help you determine the best product to use.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers