My name is Chantel and I'm pondering whether or not I should refinish my old banister. It is not in too terrible bad condition, it is dull and has some scratches...however I absolutly must refinish the floors, they are worn down to bare wood in places, stained, scratched and cupped in places. I am worried that once I redo the floors, the banister will not match. I really hate to touch the banister because it has a lot of nice alligatored finish as well as the rest of the baseboards and crownwork around the house.
Also, any suggestions for removing paint from said baseboards? Some fool thought paint was the fix-all for this 1905 jewel. Help me make her grand again!!! will send photos if you recommend.
You should definitely refinish the banister! Crackling or crazed old varnish is attractive to some but not me. You can often correct the problem with a light sanding and fresh coat of varnish. You might remove one of the spindles and take it to the paint store so they can help you determine the best product to use.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!